Tuesday 21 May 2013

Another layer of interlining - lambswool



I bought this muslin mandors thinking that it was the same as the layer of interlining above. However, form seeking some advice from Cate we have come to the conclusion that this fabric is wool based rather than cotton based like the muslin that I sourced.

After some research in to what exactly this fabric could be, I came across some information from the book 'Tailoring - the Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket' which I have been using a lot as a source during this project. This fabric could potentially be lambswool interlining as this is used as another layer to keep in the warmth. From what I have seen, the lambswool has been stitched on to the wadding rather than the top fabric. I decided to do a little sample with the muslin and some poly wadding just to get an idea of the look, however if I can I would would to try and purchase some lambswool interlining to have the correct type of sample.


After some more research I found that I was stuggling to find sources to purchase this fabric. I found this 'lambswool linen' which a) I dont know whether it is the correct fabric and b) is it too expensive for me to purchase to then find out that it was not the fabric that I was looking for. At the end of the day, this fabric is not a vital element to my costume, and can be made without it. I also found out from a forum on patternreview.com that this kind of lambswool used be to a staple for hand-tailoring, but is almost impossible to find nowadays.

http://www.scarlet-letter.com/linens/40lambswool.php is a US site that sells the fabric $70 per yard! What I can gather from this is that this fabric must be something that is very hard to get hold of, as well as it being a very traditional type of interlining that isnt necessarily used in modern times. I could be wrong about what this fabric is, but ulitimately this is all part of the learning journey.

http://thesewingdivas.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/sewing-with-fur/ I found this link, which has some good photos of the use of lambswool in an old fur garment. I shows it use in the collar as well as on the body.



No comments:

Post a Comment