Monday 8 April 2013

Emailing


I think that at this stage I am having not much luck finding any information on actual military tailoring techniques over the internet. As well as this I cannot find any books specific to this line of work. I know that military tailoring isn’t necessarily a specific type of tailoring as a lot of the techniques fall under general tailoring. However, there are elements such as the padded lining of military jackets, as well as the application of trims that are distinctive to the construction of military garments and no not fall under this general category. So, what I need to do is find out what exactly goes in to making a military jacket, which tailoring skills are relevant that I can sample? But as I said it is not something that is easily found over the internet. My theory is that the tricks of the trade are secret and cannot be easily found unless asked or learnt directly. I am thinking that it is going to take a lot more than this to get the information that I need. I can imagine that learning this trade takes years and years of training to be a skilled professional and I don’t expect to learn everything through this project; however there is no harm in curiosity. I’ve decided to mail a couple of historic uniform recreational companies to ask their advice on aspects such as useful sources like books, points of interest, people to contact, and even if I could ask them a couple of questions about their line of work. I know that it is a shot in the dark but at this stage I really don’t have anything to lose. My plan is to find a few more people or companies to research and email so that I can hopefully get at least one positive outcome. Thinking outside the box is quite a crucial aspect for me right now and I’d like to think of it as being a little more pro-active.

So far I have emailed:

Mr Ben Retro clothing

www.mrbenretroclothing.com

This is a vintage store based in Glasgow. I had been told that there is a woman that works in the store that repairs, alters and replicates Military uniforms.


Tinkers Tailor 18th Century Outfitters

www.tinkerstailor.com

This is a company based in Derbyshire that make and sell soldiers and sailors garments, as well as accessories of the 18th Century. They are a bespoke tailor made service that use methods of construction are as near to that used by an 18th Century tailor.

Ninya Mikhaila – Historical Costumier 

www.ninyamikhaila.com

Ninya Mikhaila is a maker of high quality reconstructions of historic dress, working to the individual needs of heritage sites, museums and private clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment